Relevant for: Electrical & electronics, Hardlines, Softlines, Toys & children's products
What is it?
Chlorinated phenols are a group of organic compounds that the phenol is bonded with one or more chlorines. They are man-made chemicals which are soluble in organic solvents. In particular, pentachlorophenol (PCP), tetra- and trichlorophenols (TeCP and TCP), have been used as fungicides, insecticides, disinfectants, and as anti-fouling paint ingredients.
Chlorinated phenols are known to be harmful. Especially, PCP is highly toxic to humans and the aquatic life. It is toxic when inhaled, ingested, or absorbed through the skin. Short-term exposure may lead to damage of the central nervous system and long-term exposure can cause reproductive effects, liver and kidney damage, and cancer.
Commonly found in:
These substances were used widely as biocides and preservatives. Owing to their toxicity, many countries restricted the use and production. Literature shows that PCP can be found in impregnated wood e.g. pallets, fences; impregnated textiles such as wool, cotton, linen and jute; leather and paper processing. These substances may remain in the finished products.
Related legislation (non-exhaustive):
- European Union:
- REACH Regulation Annex XVII, entry 19
- Austria - Chemicals Prohibition Ordinance
- Denmark - Chemical Substances and Products Act
- Germany - Chemical Prohibition Act
- The Netherlands - Commodities Act on Pentachlorophenol
- Chemical Risk Reduction Ordinance
- GB 25036-2010 - Children's canvas rubber footwear(shoes)
- GB 25038-2010 - Rubber shoes healthy and safe specification
- Maximum limit (non-exhaustive):
- European Union:
- EU: REACH Annex XVII entry 19: PCP
- As a substance: not used
- In mixtures: < 0.1% by weight
- Austria, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands
- Products treated with PCP: < 5 mg/kg
- PCP, TeCP and their salts
- As a substance and in mixtures: Not used
- Textiles and leather goods: Not used
- GB 25036-2010 and GB 25038-2010
- PCP: not used
- TeCP: not used
How can TÜV SÜD help?
TÜV SÜD has a dedicated technical solutions team to support you with root cause analysis, problem identification, suggestions for improvement and failure minimisation.
- Training and seminar on understanding the RSL (Restricted Substance List) and MRSL (Manufacturing Restricted Substance List)
- Testing services on raw materials and final products
- Being part of the Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals (ZDHC) programme, we review the entire value chain of footwear and textiles.