Relevant for: Hardlines, Children's products
On 10 July 2017, State of New York first read an Assembly bill (A8550)1 to amend the administrative code of the city of New York relating to a new requirement imposing all bicycle riders to wear a helmet during cycling.
This Act has specified some terms including defining how it means by wearing a helmet as having a helmet of good fit fastened securely upon the head with helmet straps.
The Act also specifies that only helmets which meet any of the following standards are acceptable for use during cycling.
- ANSI Z 90.4 bicycle helmet standards;
- Snell Memorial Foundation's standards for protective headgear for use in bicycling;
- American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) standards for bicycle helmets;
- Safety Equipment Institute (SEI) standards for bicycle helmets; or
- CPSC standards for bicycle helmets (16 CFR 1203)
This Act will be effective on the 30th day after it has become a law.