Relevant for: Food, Hardlines
On 14 March 2016, the European Commission (EC) notified the World Trade Organisation (WTO) that it proposes to introduce a Draft Commission Regulation on the use of bisphenol A (BPA) in varnishes and coatings intended to come into contact with food. The draft will also amend Regulation (EU) No. 10/2011 on plastic materials and articles intended to come into contact with food (Plastics Regulation).
The proposed date of adoption and publication is September 2016.
The proposed date of entry into force is 20 days following its publication in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU), i.e., by the end of October 2016.
The proposed date of application is 6 months after entry into force of this Regulation. i.e., by the end of April 2017.
The draft Regulation proposes to establish the following specific measures on the use of 2,2-bis(4-hydroxyphenylpropane) commonly known as bisphenol A (BPA) in varnishes and coatings intended to come into contact with food:
- Sets the definition on “varnishes” and “coatings”
- Establishes Specific Migration Limit (SML) for BPA used in varnishes and coatings
- Defines rules for verification of compliance concerning varnishes and coatings
- States the required information on the written declaration of compliance (DoC)
The draft Regulation also proposes to amend the Plastics Regulation. Table 1 shows the summary of the amendment.
- Table 1. Summary of the amendment to the Plastics Regulation
|FCM Substance No.||CAS No.||Substance name||Previous SML (mg/kg)||Amended SML (mg/kg)|