Relevant for: Health & beauty, Hardlines, Softlines, Toys & children's products
The European Union’s restriction on bis(pentabromophenyl)ether (DecaBDE), was published in the Official Journal on 10 February 2017 as Regulation (EU) 2017/2271, amended Annex XVII to REACH regulation as a newly added entry – Entry 67.
This new restriction on decaBDE targets on the substances, mixtures and articles. After 2 March 2019, the substances, mixtures and articles are not allowed to be manufactured or placed in the EU market, if they cannot comply with this restriction.
DecaBDE is widely used as an additive flame retardant with applications in domestic and commercial furniture and in the transport, construction and mining sectors, particularly in plastic and textile articles but also in adhesives, sealants, coatings and inks. Moreover, DecaBDE was identified as a Substances of Very High Concern (SVHC) and included in the REACH Candidate List in December 2012.
Table A. Entry 67 - restriction on decaBDE
|Scope of restriction ||Substances, mixtures, articles|
- Substance: Not used (Not detected)
- As a constituent in another substance, mixtures: Not used (Not detected)
- Articles, any parts: 0.1% by weight
- Articles placed on the market before 2 March 2019;
- Electrical and electronic equipment within the scope of RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU;
- Aircraft, spare part of aircraft produced before 2 March 2027;
- Motor vehicles within the scope of Directive 2007/46/EC, agricultural and forestry vehicles within the scope of Regulation (EU) No 167/2013 or machinery within the scope of Directive 2006/42/EC, and the spare parts of those products produced before 2 March 2019.