Relevant for: Electrical & electronics, Hardlines, Softlines, Toys & children's products
On 9 March 2017, the European Chemical Agency (ECHA) launched the 17th public consultation1 of the REACH Candidate List. It will be end on 24 April 2017. Two substances have been proposed for inclusion as Substances of Very High Concern (SVHCs).
In the two proposed substances, Bisphenol A (BPA) was identified as SVHC and included in Candidate List on 12 January 2017 with the “Toxic for Reproduction” property. Now it is proposed to identify BPA with the endocrine disrupting property. The other proposed substance is Perfluorohexane-1-sulphonic acid and its salts which is newly introduced in the 17th update of Candidate List.
Table A (below) gives the substance name, identification numbers (CAS and EC), the reason for proposing and the potential application(s).
|Reason for proposing||Potential Application|
|4,4'-isopropylidenediphenol (Bisphenol A)|
|Endocrine disrupting properties (Article 57(f) - human health)|
- Used in manufacture of polycarbonates;
- Used for the synthesis of other polymers such as polyester carbonate, polyarylates, polysulfones, polyetherimides, polyols, polyamides and polybenzoxazines;
- Used in manufacture of epoxy resins and other resins, such as vinyl ester resins, phenolic plastic resins and unsaturated polyester resins;
- Used as an additive in the coating applied to thermal paper.
|Perfluorohexane-1-sulphonic acid and its salts (PFHxS)|
|vPvB (Article 57e)|
- Can be present in carpets, leather and apparel, textiles and upholstery;
- Can be present in household products (e.g. cookware, floor polish and water repellent sprays for apparel and footwear)
- Can be present in metal plating, paper, fire-fighting foam, and electronic equipment.
Remark: PFHxS is a known impurity in the production of PFOS. There is no available data on the use of PFHxS currently, but it can be present in the materials and products above.
vPvB: Very persistent and very bioaccumulative