Like other lighting products, LEDs are typically subject to electrical safety, electromagnetic compatibility and energy efficiency testing. In addition, product performance issues related to the color and intensity of emitted light or exposure to extreme environmental conditions are important considerations for LED lighting products used in demanding applications such as transportation and infrastructure projects. Concerns about the possible health effects from exposure to light generated from LEDs has also resulted in the introduction of photobiological testing of LEDs to ensure user safety.
LED performance is a primary concern for commercial and industrial customers, and certification to specific performance standards can be used as evidence of compliance with buyer requirements. In addition, demonstrated compliance with the requirements of voluntary energy efficiency schemes, such as the U.S. ENERGY STAR program, can be important factors for marketplace acceptance. Finally, certain tests such as those addressing electrical and photometric safety are generally required for access to major markets, including the U.S. and the European Union (EU).
TÜV SÜD is a leading provider of comprehensive testing and certification services for electrical and lighting products. Our global network of technical experts, combined with our state-of-the-art testing laboratories, assure a single source solution for meeting all applicable requirements, standards and voluntary schemes. And TÜV SÜD technical professionals are actively involved in international advisory boards and standards development activities, ensuring the most up-to-date knowledge of current and changing requirements.
Represented in over 800 locations worldwide, TÜV SÜD has an unsurpassed track record of meeting and exceeding the requirements and expectations of our client companies. The TÜV SÜD brand and our distinctive blue octagon mark are instantly recognised around the globe as symbols of quality and safety, and will increase customer confidence in your brand.
TÜV SÜD provides a comprehensive suite of testing and certification services for regulations, standards and voluntary energy efficiency programs applicable to LED lighting products, including bulbs, modules and drivers. TÜV SÜD technical experts can also assist in product design and development, quality testing, environmental certification and transport monitoring, as well as provide customised services in support of global supply chain activities. The TÜV SÜD blue octagon certification mark is globally recognised as a symbol of product safety.
TÜV SÜD services for LEDs include the following tests and certifications:
Photobiological and Electrical Safety
- IEC/EN 62471 photobiological safety of lamps and lamp systems
- IEC/EN 62031 safety requirement of LED module for general lighting
- IEC/EN 60968 safety requirement of self-ballasted lamp for general lighting
- IEC 62560 safety requirement of LED self-ballasted lamp for general lighting which goes beyond 50V
- IEC/EN 61347-1 safety requirement and general usage of lamp control gear-part1
- IEC/EN 61347-2-13 lamp control gear-part 2-13: the special requirement of LED module that uses alternating or direct current electronic control gear
- IEC/EN 60598 the safety requirement of various light fixtures
- IEC/EN 60838-2-2 miscellaneous lamp sockets-part 2-2: the special requirements of LED module connectors
Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC)
- U.S. FCC Part 15 Subpart B
- EN 55015 specificity of wireless interference, the limiting value and measurement
- IEC/EN 61547 anti-interference requirement of common lighting fixtures
- IEC/EN 61000-3-2 the emission limit of harmonic current
- IEC/EN 61000-3-3 limit of voltage fluctuation and flicker
- EU ErP Directive
- IEC/EN 62612 performance requirements of LED self-ballasted lamp for general lighting which goes beyond 50V
- IEC 62384 LED performance requirement of the module with alternating or direct current control gear
- CIE 84-1989 measurement of light flux
- CIE 13.3-1995 measurement of colour rendering
- LM-16 relevant colour temperature
- LM-58 colour rendering index and CCT
- EU RoHS Directive testing
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) testing
- Phthalate testing
- Packaging heavy metal testing
- EU REACH Substances of Very High Concern (SVHC) testing
- Organotin compound testing
- EU CE Mark - The product passport to the EU market
- IECEE CB Scheme report - As a CB Scheme recognised laboratory, TÜV SÜD is able to provide manufacturers with CB reports, which can be converted into national certification of many countries
- GS Mark - The Geprüfte Sicherheit mark is a German safety certification mark, it is widely recognised in Germany, Europe and across the world
- TÜV SÜD EMC Mark - TÜV SÜD electro-magnetic compatibility certification mark, indicates that the product's compliance to electromagnetic requirements have been tested and its manufacturing processes have been strictly evaluated by TÜV SÜD
- TÜV SÜD ErP Mark - TÜV SÜD ErP instruction certification mark, indicates that the product’s compliance to ErP instructions requirements have been met and manufacturing processes have been strictly appraised by TÜV SÜD
- Australian C-Tick - Certification of electromagnetic compatibility for Australia and New Zealand
- Japan PSE Mark - A mandatory mark required by all electronic appliances and materials that are sold in Japan